Request an Estimate - Step 1 of 2
Long distance moving is no simple task. There are lots of different tasks that you'll have to handle, all of which can make things even more complex and difficult for you and those involved. If you have children, things can get even more complex and require more of your time and energy. Among the things that you will have to do in order to prepare for such a move include:
You will also have to consider:
Sound like a lot? It sure is! Hiring state to state movers is probably one of the most difficult parts of all of this, since there are plenty of moving scams out there, but you can make the process easier. Here are five important things that you must know about any company you are considering hiring before you sign a contract. Know these things and you will be making sure that your things are in good hands throughout the course of your move.
1. Reputation: The reputation of a company is perhaps one of the most important things that you can know about them. A good company will have a reputation that precedes them, and you will know that they are a good company not because they toot their own horn. Instead, other people will hear you speaking about getting online moving quotes and hiring long distance movers, and they will speak on the behalf of such companies. You can often get some very good leads by talking to friends and family members who have moved recently or by looking online for reviews of certain companies.
2. Price: Knowing the price of the state to state moving services that you need is an important step in finding out which moving companies you want to hire and where you want to get long distance moving quotes from. Regardless of reputation, a company is no good to you if you find that the moving cost is way outside of your budget. Make sure that you set your budget first, and then speak with the companies and get online moving quotes. Consider asking about various package deals, and if they offer any discounts. Consider the price versus the services included as well.
3. Licenses: All cross country moving companies should have certain licenses that legally allow them to work in certain states and localities. You need to find a company that is able to work in both the area where you are moving from as well as the area that you are moving to. They should also be bonded in the event that something goes wrong and your things are damaged or lost in transit. You should gather these numbers and verify them before you decide to hire a company and sign a contract.
4. Dispute Resolution: One of the most overlooked things when you are choosing a moving company to handle your moving needs is how the company handles disputes. Accidents will happen, and there are cases where goods are damaged or lost. In such an event, how does the company handle things? You should ask about the company’s dispute process before you hire them, and in most cases, get the written resolution process before you sign anything. You can also find information on how certain companies handle disputes by looking at the reviews that various customers have posted online.
5. Hours/Days of Operation:Knowing when the company operates may not seem important at first, but as you plan the move, you will soon see just why it is so vital. The point of hiring a company to help you move is so that you do not have to worry about things. Chances are, you will have to be moved and settled by a specific date, and you will have to have the movers there on certain days that work around your schedule. Hiring movers that cannot fit into your schedule is pointless and can only lead to frustration. Make sure that you know when the movers work, and how many hours they will be driving so that you can keep on top of the move from start to finish.
By keeping these simple things in mind, finding a state to state moving company to handle your move will turn out to be much simpler than you might have originally thought. There are hundreds of moving companies out there, and you have a ton on your plate. Make life simple by getting a long distance moving quote and hiring the right moving company for your needs, no matter what those needs are. In the end, a little knowledge goes a long way, especially when it means the difference between hiring a great company and falling into a scam.