Request an Estimate - Step 1 of 2
Relocation can be quite a stressful and anxiety driven process. Hence, it is always advisable to get online moving quotes so that you can hire professional help from a moving company who will ensure a smooth and easy relocation, irrespective of whether it is just across the town, a city, or a country. Following a few basic guidelines developed by the U.S Department of Transportation and it's subsidiary, the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration will go a long way in assisting you in completing a successful move.
This organization is responsible for the protection of rights of consumers against disputes that may arise in case of damage to goods or fraudulent moving practices. The FMCSA governs all local, as well as interstate moving companies, and requires them to register. Additionally, the agency also requires them to have a proof of cargo insurance. However, there are still a lack of rules and regulations regarding the moving industry, so the government officials have put together the following tips to help consumers who are facing a move in the near future.
1. Choose from amongst registered movers only. Make sure that the movers that you short-list have been assigned a USDOT number. This implies that the respective mover has the license and the insurance to move your goods. You can do so by checking the official website of FMCSA or inquiring over the phone.
2. Always ask your mover for a copy of the Rights and Responsibilities document, which provides you with basic information regarding the services they offer and the documents you will be required to sign before moving. It also enlightens you about the claims that you can make in case your goods are damaged and the extent of the liability borne by the mover. Alternatively, a copy can also be downloaded from the FMCSA's website.
3. Before you proceed, try to gain as much as possible information about the company and its policies. The movers should provide all the necessary, required information pertaining to the relocation including important documents like a written estimate, order for service, bill of lading, and inventory list. Most of the reputed moving companies give a free online moving quote for all of the services they offer and their respective charges. Do not settle for an oral estimate though, instead get it written and signed by the moving company when you finally decide on one.
Ensure that you obtain a copy of the bill of lading before you hand over the goods to the movers for loading, as it is an important contract between you and the moving company. In other words, it is a receipt stating that the moving company has taken the responsibility for your personal belongings. Another vital document is the inventory list, describing the condition of each item that will be shipped by the movers.
4. Inquire about the dispute settlement programs in case of damage, theft, or loss to your goods during transportation.
5. The mover should be able to provide you with published tariffs for the services so that you are not overcharged.
Of course, finding a good local moving quote is usually much easier than you might thing, especially if you have an ally like MovingEstimates.com on your site. Using our patented, unique online moving quote system, you can fill in one form, hit submit, and get up to six estimates from highly rated movers who offer the services you are looking for. By providing both local and long distance moving quotes through a single form, as well as access to specialty services like car transport and office moving, there has never been a better, or easier time to move!
So what are you waiting for? You need to move - make it simple by letting us help you from the get go!